Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In other words, breakfast helps kick-start your metabolism and help burn your calories throughout the day.
Many studies shows that eating a healthy breakfast – especially oatmeal – lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol, and lower chances of diabetes and heart disease.
Here’s a recipe for a quick, decadent oatmeal for days when you are in a rush and don’t have time to cook breakfast. I love this recipe as it contains many of the super-foods full of plant-based protein, fiber and ALA omegas. I suggest it’s better than the Four Seasons Oatmeal!
No ‘rip and pour’ oatmeal packages as many of them have a lot of added sugar and it’s not as tasty! Add a protein shake to this and you are set to go.
The biggest trick to this gourmet oatmeal is to preassemble the oatmeal mix in advance! It’s best to go to a health food store or a Whole Foods to get all your ingredients which can be found in the bulk foods area.
- Quick oats
- Buckwheat oats
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
- Ground Flaxseed
- Coconut Flakes
- Fresh Berries
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut/Soya/Almond/Cashew Milk (unsweetened!)
- Nuts and or seeds to taste
Put in a big bowl – fill half of it with your dry oatmeal and then add the other half with a mixture of the rest of the ingredients. Shake it to mix up the mixture and you’ll be ready for many mornings!
Hint: Qi’a brand has a cereal bag that has premixed buckwheat, chia and hemp seeds and almonds.
- Take about a ¼ to ½ a cup of oatmeal mixture in a LARGE bowl
- Add water to it (about double the amount of oatmeal)
- Put it in the microwave – set it to the Oatmeal setting or try 1 minute
- Flavour it with berries and a touch of maple syrup if that fancies you!
- Add your milk to taste and cool down the oatmeal!
If you haven’t already seen my YouTube video with instructions to make this quick and easy oatmeal, click here to see it.